The City Hotel is conscious that that we all have an impact on the environment.
We are working towards reducing our co2 and doing our bit to build a sustainable future.
Responsible Visitor Charter
We encourage all our visitors to support the following:
Be water wise
Please use water wisely turn off the tap when brushing your teeth, only fill the kettle for the amount you require and adhere to towel policies in the bedrooms. To save water at home click on www.waterwise.org.uk
Give the car a rest
Avoid the car if only for a day there are plenty of walks, bikes trails, parks, and public transport close to the hotel ask at reception for details.
Reduce, reuse, recycle
Reuse that extra plastic bag, please place any aluminium cans in the bin provided in the lobby area at the side of the reception desk. This will provide employment for adults with learning disabilities. For ideas on recycling click on www.recyclenow.com
Please help support the local economy by visiting our local shops and markets there are a lot of fresh products on offer.
Support green tourism by visiting the local museum. Walk along the Derry walls and along the River Foyle, hire a bike, there are plenty of ideas in our green folder at reception. For a list of Hotels who support Green Tourism click on www.green-business.co.uk
Switch off lights when you’re not using them, leave TV on standby (better than turning them off from the walls) Unplug phone chargers when not in use
The City Hotel environmental commitment
- We buy 100% renewable energy from ESB.ie wind farms.
- We use rainforest alliance tea and coffee in our bedrooms.
- We use fair trade sugar.
- We use fair trade chocolate in our deluxe rooms.
- We use bio plastic bags.
- We use recycled paper for all our printed materials and guest paper.
- We use 100% recycled paper in our offices.
- We’ve removed all plastic straws from our hotels and have switched to PLA biodegradable straws.
- We buy as much of our fish, meat, cheese and vegetables from local suppliers, we strive to support local to not only better our community but to reduce unnecessary food miles and waste.
- We donated all our used toner cartridges to Action cancer.
- We donate all our used cans to Can -Can recycling in Ballymoney which is a charity who help adults with learning disabilities. www.cancanrecycling.co.uk
- We recycle all our glass, paper, plastic, cardboard, old cooking oil, tin. We have reduced our hotel waste from 140 tons in 2006 to 59 tons in 2010.
- We have two electric car charging points opposite our hotels to encourage the use of electric cars by our guests.
- We donate all our old soap and gels to a charity called Clean the World www.cleantheworld.org
- We are a member of the wildlife trust and our staff volunteer with them to help protect the wildlife in our area. www.ulsterwildlifetrust.org
- We use chlorine free cleaning products in our kitchens and bedrooms and phosposphate free soaps and gels in all our bedrooms.
- We have aerators on each tap to reduce the flow on bath room taps and our shower heads are reduced flow.
- Each toilet has a Henry Hippo bag to reduce the amount of water used.
- Our toilet roll and tissue KATRIN Brand have the Nordic Ecolabel /FSC /PEFC and Ecolabel.
- Our shampoo and gels are Eco – Boutique which has the NORDIC Swan certification, it is 100% organic and bottles are made from recycled materials.